Pages

Friday 1 February 2013

Life has taught me never to be in hurry for anything –Oge Okoye, actress


If you think scandalous stories rob Nollywood star, Oge Okoye, of her sleep, then you are far from the truth. This wife and mother of two, says such things don’t bother her so long as they are false. She tells Adaeze Amos in this interview that her daring roles pose no problems to her marriage, among others.
How does your hubby react to some of your daring roles?
It’s not a problem or a big deal because he understands my job and what it entails.
Can you therefore act a nude role?
I won’t act a nude scene or role because of our culture and my family.
A lot of scandalous stories have been written about you. How does that make you feel?
I can’t really answer that because I don’t allow any inconsequential story or gossip worry me because I know that I’m in the public light. Some are there for you and others aren’t, so it isn’t much of a problem.


Are you saying you are not moved or perturbed?
Whatever scandalous stories that have been written about me don’t move me one bit as long as I know they are not true. Why should I make a fuss of such stories! They are baseless.
What lesson has life taught you?
I have been taught by life never to be in a hurry for anything. It will come when the time is ripe. I will never say never.
What words do you have for up-and-coming acts and your fans?
I will tell them what my mom usually tell me and that is: do that one thing you think you cannot do, fail at it, try again. Do better the second time. The only people who never tumble are those who never mount the high wire. I hold on to those words all the time. I’m giving the same words back to my fans and aspiring actors. Dream it, believe it, work towards it and it’s a done deal.
When you are not on location, what do you usually do?
When I’m not on location, I spend the time with my family. Of late, I have been spending a better part of my time visiting the less privileged homes, schools where I share my joy with them and meeting up with their needs in my own little way. I encourage the kids and let them know that if they take education seriously, the sky would be their starting point. I tell them to be getting ready for the new Nigeria because they are the future tomorrow.
How many children have you?
I’m blessed with two children.
How do you balance your acting career with motherhood?
It’s pretty difficult at some point but I have been able to put all in line and fill up the margin by striking up a balance in my home and place of work. I wouldn’t want any part to suffer. Everything has to do with planning and I have capable hands to look after my children when I’m not in town.
How was your girl-hood like?
My girl-hood wasn’t different from others, nothing out of the ordinary. My girl-hood was as good as the girl next door. I lived a quiet, prayerful and girlish life whereby I loved adventures. I tried out new things, partying and making new friends. Really, nothing much I can remember of.
What other things are you into apart from acting?
Nothing for now. I put in 100 per cent attention to my family and acting career; that is all. This is a handful already. When I’m into other things, it will be known to the media. But I wouldn’t forget to say that I have set up my non-governmental organization, which is known as Positive Life for Children Foundation. This is about to be launched. The foundation would be tackling the issue of the brilliant but less privileged children and children with special needs anywhere in Africa.
Some of your colleagues’ marriages have crashed, and for others theirs are threatening to hit the rock but yours has endured. What do you do to keep yours stable?
Nothing out of the ordinary. I have been holding on to God tenaciously.
What have you been doing to pay back to humanity having attained your present height?
I’m saddled with the prime responsibility of ensuring that less privileged children live a positive life and make meaningful impact in the society. I want them to become agents of positive change in Africa. I want to ensure I help them to discover themselves and become who and what they want to be n life. This I do by building and empowering them through scholarships, painting and renovating dilapidated facilitates in schools. Also by providing sandals, school bags, books, writing materials and other gift items to schools and orphanages.
What determines your dress sense?
The occasion. My outfit will surely go in line with the event. My nails, hair and make-up have to complement my outfit.
What does style mean to you?
Style to me is the expression of my personality, wearing what suits me, what really fits and being trendy too.

No comments:

Post a Comment