Pages

Wednesday 6 January 2016

Police Officer’s Wife Commits Suicide On New Year’s Eve One Month After Losing Husband

Asuquo

Widow of a policeman, Mrs Philomena Asuquo, has committed suicide in Lagos one month after losing her husband.The incident occurred at the Police Barracks on Sagamu Road in Ikorodu on New Year’s Eve.

The late Mrs Asuquo, whose late husband, Inspector Uwem Asuquo was yet to be buried, was said to have taken sniper, an insecticide, out of frustration and depression.

Her 19-year-old son, Shadrach, who rushed her to the Ikorodu General Hospital gave a vivid account of what happened and how she had been depressed since her husband died last November.

He said:

Shadrach said: “She has been depressed since my father died in police custody but she has never attempted suicide.That day I and my brother went to my aunt’s place to help her wash the house because she was moving to their house in Ikorodu.When we got back, she was sitting in the parlour watching television.

My brother and I went to the kitchen to take our food. After we had eaten, she went into the kitchen to take her food and went inside her room.I went to the toilet; when I got back to the sitting room, I started perceiving the odour of the insecticide.

“Then, I ran into her room and saw her on the floor holding her stomach. Immediately I took her to the hospital where she died.”

The late Inspector Asuquo was attached to the Area ‘C’ Command in Surulere, Lagos Mainland.

His older brother, Peter, said the family was awaiting police directives on his funeral, since he died in service.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment